Today is the RSPCA’s Cupcake Day! For those of you who aren’t Aussies, The RSPCA is the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and each year they hold a Cupcake Day to raise awareness and funds to go towards helping the shelters, clinics, Inspectors and animals in Australia.
Now, the RSPCA have some pretty cute commercials, and there is one in particular that I actually adore. Everytime it comes on I HAVE to watch it. My Mum told me recently that this commerical has been around for twenty plus years (I had no idea!), and when I was little, if I heard it I used to come running to the TV to watch it. It stars a wombat, and I don’t know what it is about this particular wombat, but I think I love him (well, in my head it’s a him…but sure, it could be a her!). Check it out below…I’m SURE you will fall in love with the wombat too!
See! The BEST wombat in the world!
I love my pets. A lot. Well, okay if I’m going to be serious here, they are more than pets really. They are family members! And to think that there are animals out there that don’t get the love and care that they deserve really breaks my heart. Cupcake Day is something that I have always wanted to take part in, but the day always seems to arrive before I know it. So this year, I made sure that I thought about it in advance and found out exactly what day it would be on so I could get involved! I stuck with the animal theme and used Oreos well, because Oreos taste so good!
Oreo Pawprint Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from taste.com.au
For the cupcakes
200g unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 C caster sugar
4 tsp vanilla essence
2 3/4 C self raising flour
1 C milk
1 packet Oreos, crushed
For the buttercream icing
120g unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla essence
Red and blue food colouring (or purple if you have it!)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place cupcake cases in a muffin tray.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until just combined.
4. Add the flour and milk in alternate batches and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
5. Using the wooden spoon, fold the Oreos into the mixture (you may not what to use the whole packet…it’s up to you how much you add!).
6. Spoon mixture into cupcake cakes so that they are about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
For the icing
1. Cream the butter and vanilla essence with an electric mixer until butter changes to a white colour.
2. Gradually add icing sugar, beating with the electric mixer, until desired consistency is achieved.
3. Add the food colouring and stir in to create the colour you would like!
To assemble the cupcakes
1. Pipe buttercream icing on to the top of the cool cupcakes.
2. Decorate with sprinkles, and Oreo and choc chips to create a pawprint.
Recipe yields 20-24 cupcakes
I’m certainly not going to wait until next year’s Cupcake Day to make these cupcakes again! Let’s face it, adding Oreos to something is always going to be a success. But next time, I’m going to use a peanut butter frosting for sure.
The RSPCA rely on fundraising intiatives like Cupcake Day to increase donations and awareness of the fight to prevent animal cruelty, as nationally they receive less than 5% of its funding from the government. If you would like to make a donation to the RSPCA, just click here! According to the RSPCA website, ‘cupcakes can change lives’. Now that is something that I definitely like the sound of.